Disillusioned Charlton fans want to turn Sunday’s game against Boro into “the biggest protest the club has ever seen” in their latest show of anger aimed at the owner.
Home fans will hold a mock funeral before the game, carrying a coffin upto and around the stadium, before urging supporters to take part in a mass walkout in the 74th minute – the amount of goals the Addicks have conceded in all competitions this season.
It’s the latest in a string of protests aimed at owner Roland Duchatelet and chief executive Katrien Meire.
And there could be more planned on the day with Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) – a group formed by furious fans – releasing a statement claiming they are keeping “significant further plans for the day up its sleeve”.
Charlton are seven points adrift of safety ahead of the game against Boro this weekend and have won just once in their last seven outings.
It’s the ongoing situation off the pitch which has riled fans more though, with supporters calling for owner Duchatelet to sell up.
Furious fans even made the trip to Belgium last month to stage a protest at the home of another club owned by Duchatelet.
A spokesman for CARD told South London Press : “This is not just about the team’s prospects, although they look very grim.
“We are asking the many disillusioned and angry fans who have been staying away to come back on Sunday and turn the afternoon into the biggest protest Charlton has ever seen, including when the old board took the club to Selhurst Park in 1985. The threat to Charlton’s future this time is just as real, and we will not let it be realised.
“The intention is to protest outside the ground while the match is still going on, and if the club locks the main gates we plan to assemble either side of them.
“We are also encouraging fans to walk out of the stadium on 74 minutes – the number of goals conceded so far this season – and reassemble in the west stand car park.
“The intention is then to protest outside the ground while the match is still going on, and if the club locks the main gates we plan to assemble either side of them.”
A further statement released by the group reads:
“As with previous matches CARD is keeping significant further plans for the day up its sleeve, but it is asking fans to wear black and white, and bring thousands of balloons of the same colours, continuing the funeral theme by staging a wake, as well as banners.
“It’s important to keep the messages simple and clean in order to retain the moral high ground and avoid things that will divide supporters rather than unite them.
“We do not condone or encourage anyone breaking the law. We have also been asked by the police to make clear that they will arrest anyone who brings flares.
“We want people to protest loudly, visibly and effectively, but safely.”
Charlton were dealt a further blow this week when assistant manager Jose Jeunechamps left the club just a month after joining, returning to Belgium to take charge of RFC Seraing.
Despite their ongoing problems on and off the pitch, Boro boss Aitor Karanka says he expects “another really difficult game” at the Valley on Sunday.
“Charlton are another team fighting for their lives,” he said.
“They play with a high intensity and if we don’t score goals we will have problems.”