Angry protesters gathered in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil yesterday to denounce chauvinism and impunity after a video went viral reportedly showing the rape of a 16-year-old girl by more than 30 men and boys.
The reported assault was discovered after one of the suspects posted to Twitter a video of the nude, semi-conscious girl, with a few men brazenly insulting the alleged victim, showing their faces, and one man heard saying, “more than 30 impregnated her!”.
The Twitter account where the video was posted has since been suspended.
Police have reportedly identified four suspects so far in the assault that apparently took place last Saturday in a western Rio slum – but have yet to make any arrests, saying further investigation is required.
Brazil’s interim President Michel Temer has said his government will work with public security chiefs who oversee policing in Brazilian states to discuss how better to combat violence against women.
The victim of the alleged rape has been in contact with police to give her account of the ordeal.
Officials have said the girl told them more than 30 men had assaulted her, but they could not yet confirm how many took part in the alleged rape, as they are still investigating.