Home / Education / Hundreds Protest After Man Fatally Shot By Police In Minnesota

Hundreds Protest After Man Fatally Shot By Police In Minnesota

FALCON HEIGHTS, Minn. (CBSNewYork/AP) — Hundreds of people early Thursday morning were protesting the fatal shooting of a man in a car by a suburban St. Paul, Minnesota, police officer.

Philando Castile, 32, was shot by police during a routine traffic stop for a broken tail light.

Video showing the aftermath of the incident by the Castile’s girlfriend, Lavisha Reynolds (known on Facebook as Lavish Reynolds), was streamed live on Facebook and shows the black man covered in blood.

In the video, the officer, whose gun is drawn, is heard saying at one point, “I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his hand out.”

She said Castile told the officer he was licensed to carry a weapon, but when he started to put his hands up, he was shot several times in the arm.

“Please officer, don’t tell me that you did this,” she says in the video. “You shot four bullets into him, sir. He was just getting his license and registration, sir.”

The woman’s 4-year-old daughter can also be seen in the video.

In a news release, police said officers pulled over a vehicle at about 9 p.m. Wednesday. They said “shots were fired” during the traffic stop and a handgun was recovered at the scene.

Family members said Castile died minutes after arriving at the hospital. Police also confirmed the man was dead.

The investigation has been turned over to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

“The officer involved has been put on standard paid administrative leave,” said Chief of St. Anthony Police Department Jon Mangseth.

Before the car was towed away, about 200 protesters gathered at the scene and by early Thursday morning, hundreds had gathered outside the Minnesota Governor’s Residence in St. Paul to protest the fatal shooting.

The crowd chanted, demanding action from Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton. Police prevented vehicles from approaching, but music blared from a car parked just outside the gate, which protesters festooned with yellow police line tape.

“No justice, no sleep,” the protesters chanted.  “Mark Dayton, do you care?”

Relatives said Castile was a cafeteria supervisor at a Montessori school for 12 to 15 years. Clarence Castile said his nephew was a “good kid.”

At the same time across the country, protesters gathered over another police-involved shooting. On Tuesday, 37-year-old Alton Sterling was killed by Baton Rouge police officers while restrained.

Sterling was selling CDs outside of a convenience store when police responded to reports he was threatening someone with a gun. It has not been confirmed if he was carrying weapon.

“It is irrelevant,” family attorney Edmund Jordan said. “If you look at the video, it speaks for itself. Mr. Sterling was not reaching for weapon.”

The FBI and U.S. Justice Department are leading the investigation.

“We want to get to the answers,” said Baton Rouge Police Chief Carl Dabadie Jr. “That’s why we felt its best to have an independent and transparent investigation.”

Both of the officers involved in that case have been placed on administrative leave.

(TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Leave a Reply

[userpro template=view]