Home / Animals / Activist takes UK to court demanding genderless passports

Activist takes UK to court demanding genderless passports


The non-gendered activist wants the option of an X on UK passports

A landmark case receives permission to go before UK courts challenging the right to have genderless ‘X passports.’

Christie Elan-Cane is the non-gendered activist seeking legal recognition for individuals who do not identify as either male or female. It’s a fight they have been pursuing for 25 years.

After the preliminary hearing they spoke of their elation ‘it’s just one stage but it’s going the right way,’ according to the Guardian.

The review will challenge the policy requiring people to declare their gender as being either male or female.

Elan-Cane hopes her judicial review will allow UK passports to have a non-gender specific alternative.

Under international standards, this would allow an X to replace either male or female.

The ‘X option’ is available in countries including Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Germany, Malta, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Ireland and Canada.

Clifford Chance who are representing the Non-Gendered campaign has called the case of ‘significant public interest.’

‘Access to justice is central to Clifford Chance’s responsible business strategy, and the firm is proud to have worked alongside Christie’s Non-Gendered campaign for many years as it strives to attain recognition for individuals who do not identify as either male or female’ Clifford Chance Partner Narind Singh, comments.

‘Gender identity is a fundamental part of an individual’s intimate, personal identity and X-passports are a crucial step in the protection of the human rights of this group of individuals.’

The UK is considering self-identification for trans people 

The UK Government is currently considering law reform to make it easier for people to change their own gender.

Proposed reforms mean trans people won’t need a doctor’s diagnosis to change their birth certificate. It also means non-binary people will be able to record their gender as ‘X’.

It’s part of a new Gender Recognition Bill, due to be published in the next few months.

Since 2004, if a person wishes to change their gender, they need to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate.

This means a doctor must medically diagnose a person with gender dysphoria.

The person also must spend two years living as their preferred gender.

The government says it will try to ‘relieve the bureaucratic and medical burdens for those who choose to change their gender.’

Read more from Gay Star News:

Prince Harry thinks trans charity Mermaids are ‘amazing’

Trans student kicked out by Christian school crowned Homecoming King

Got a news tip? Want to share your story? Email us .

Leave a Reply

[userpro template=view]